Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Coming Out Story....

For those of you who know me...know that I am a Lesbian and do not hide the fact. So, I thought I would share my "Coming Out"story. Everyone in the community has one, so here's mine.....

Let's start with how "I knew" I was a gay. When I was younger, I had stronger feelings for girls than I did boys and tried all the way through most of college to suppress it because I didn't want to be known as "different or not normal". I thought it would give people another reason to snicker and make fun of me behind my back(the first reason? The red hair....I was the only red head around and was constantly being teased). I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of adding to the "humiliation". So, I let my friends do the makeover thing. I grew my hair, got tips on my nails and even went as far as wearing makeup. *Shakes head* I can't believe I just didn't confide in my friends back then, but deep down, they knew.

Anyway, I tested the waters in the heterosexual dating pool। It always seemed to like feel like something was missing. I wasn't getting the butterflies everyone was telling me about. The first thing I thought was maybe there was something wrong with me...maybe I am not a "dater" or capable of it. So, I talked to a small group of friends from college about it and a few of them had had "experiences". They shared their stories and finally it all made sense...that's me! So, I put up an ad online without a picture so no one I knew would see me. I started going to a few NY Liberty games and met some really cool people and they helped me along. I found some clubs and the next thing I know I had my first girlfriend. It was the happiest I had ever been. I was living with roommates at the time and they knew about me, so I didn't have to hide anything. My parents had moved away by this time and had NO idea and I wanted to keep it that way for as long as I could.

Well, the day finally came. I was on the phone with my dad a few days before I was going there for Christmas and he was acting a little strange. Long story short, my dad knew and I asked him how he found out.....I WAS OUTED BY A GAY GUY!!! Background: When my parents first moved to Vegas the first people they met were this gay couple. So, the younger of the 2 guys knew right away when he met me and offered to take me out to help it along and I confided in him. Well, he decided to, in his words, "help along the process and ease my parents into it"! He outed me and on CHRISTMAS!!!

Well, my girlfriend at the time was very supportive and gave me encouraging words and drove me to and from the airport. When I got there, both of my parents were waiting for me! (Very unusual...my dad was working so it was just my mom and "the gay guy". So, we get home and my mom says, "Tomorrow night we are sitting down to dinner together as a family!!!"

So, we sit down the next night and have dinner in silence. The dishes are cleared and all of a sudden, I hear my sister's voice, "So, you're a lesbian!" To make a long story even longer, my parents still love me...I am their daughter, but it will take some getting used to.

Well, it has been just over 5 years now since that fateful Christmas and I am very lucky and blessed to have such great family and friends. I am no longer with that girlfriend but if you are reading this, thank you for all of the love and support. I definitely have more of a sense of who I am now and have learned from past relationships and grown. I am currently single and I am enjoying it and concentrating on something very important right now.....Me. :)